Undergraduate Advising

Fall 2021 Advising

Undergraduate advising hours take place over Zoom on Mondays, 9:00-11:00 a.m., and Wednesdays, 4:00-6:00 p.m. Advisers are also available by appointment. To arrange an appointment, please send an email request to the undergraduate advisers at [email protected]

Zoom links for advising hours are emailed to majors and concentrators every week. Declared majors and concentrators who are not receiving weekly emails should email the Academic Affairs Coordinator to be added to the email list.

The Zoom links for undergraduate advising hours may also be obtained by request to [email protected]



The Undergraduate Advising Office is staffed by two political science Ph.D. students who have been trained by the department for this role and work closely with the Director of Undergraduate Studies and the Academic Affairs Coordinator to maintain consistent communication and application of policy. The advisers can answer questions about requirements, course selection, program planning, transfer and study abroad credit, and related aspects of the undergraduate program. The undergraduate advisers hold open office hours each week during the academic year and may also be available by appointment.

Students should meet with an undergraduate adviser for help completing political science program planning forms. Planning forms may not be completed by faculty advisers. The Academic Affairs Coordinator retains completed and signed planning forms so that students may return to meet with an adviser and update planning forms as needed.

The undergraduate advisers can also answer questions about substantive issues including student research interests, internships, and post-college plans. The advisers are an especially good resource for information and advice about applying to graduate programs, selecting a thesis adviser in the department, and seeking research assistant positions.

The undergraduate advisers for the 2021-2022 academic year are Bryn McCarthy and Adam Parker . You may reach them at [email protected].

Students may also request a formal advising relationship with a member of the department's faculty. To request a faculty adviser, students should complete a Faculty Adviser Request Form during the first two weeks of the semester. Please remember that faculty availability may vary to accommodate sabbaticals and teaching schedules, so the department cannot guarantee the availability of specific professors in future semesters.

Students who have been assigned a faculty adviser may consult that adviser for academic planning and support but still must see one of the graduate student undergraduate advisers for course approval, planning form updates, and guidance regarding departmental requirements and regulations.

The Director of Undergraduate Studies, Professor David Johnston, oversees the undergraduate program. He is available during his office hours and by appointment. While students should first seek advising at the undergraduate advising office, the undergraduate advisers or Academic Affairs Coordinator will refer students in exceptional situations to the Director of Undergraduate Studies.

The Academic Affairs Coordinator, Maria Lema, is often the first point of contact for students seeking information about any aspect of the department's majors and concentrations. The Coordinator can provide details about program requirements, seminar registration, and the honors program. The Program Coordinator cannot approve courses to be applied toward the major (for that, please see an undergraduate adviser or the Director of Undergraduate Studies). 

Economics-Political Science Adviser 
Economics-Political Science majors may consult Professor Carlo Prato during his office hours and by appointment. Economics-Political Science majors should also consult an Undergraduate Adviser for program planning and planning form approval.

Political Science-Statistics Adviser 
Political Science-Statistics majors may consult Professor Naoki Egami during his office hours and by appointment. Political Science-Statistics majors should also consult an Undergraduate Adviser for program planning and planning form approval.

Students may contact any professor for academic advice during his or her office hours or by appointment. Faculty members may provide advice about graduate school and careers, research, course selection, and other academic issues. However, any issues related to department regulations and requirements, major certification, course approvals, or transfer credit should be discussed with the Undergraduate Adviser.