Independent Study

Independent study allows a student to investigate a specific research topic under supervision of a faculty member.  

Interested students should propose a topic and suggested readings to a full-time member of the faculty who specializes in the proposed field of study. When the student and professor have agreed upon the readings, outcomes, and course requirements, the instructor will ask the Academic Affairs Coordinator to make arrangements for the student to register for one of the courses listed below. The Academic Affairs Coordinator arranges independent study courses for both undergraduate and graduate students.

For Columbia College and General Studies students:

  • POLS UN3901x Independent Reading and Research I (Fall)
  • POLS UN3902y Independent Reading and Research II (Spring)

For graduate students:

  • POLS GR9010 Special Research Course