Diversity and Equity Committee
Who We Are
Like the Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, the Department of Political Science defines diversity broadly and believes it enhances the intellectual experience and achievements of this academic community. This faculty-student diversity committee seeks to: (1) improve the climate for current students and faculty from underrepresented groups; (2) recruit more graduate students from underrepresented groups to the department and discipline; and (3) give all students and faculty the tools to succeed in a diverse discipline.
What We Do
The Diversity and Equity Committee performs the following roles and activities:
- Holds an annual meeting to discuss challenges common to women in the department and in the discipline in general;
- Holds an annual meeting to discuss challenges common to members of underrepresented minority groups in the department and in the discipline in general;
- Holds a Diversity and Equity Town Hall, where graduate students and faculty can learn and inquire about the activities of the Committee;
- Hosts an annual workshop on implicit bias;
- Hosts a social event during Ph.D. recruitment week to further the goal of increasing the number of students from underrepresented groups in the department;
- Creates and implements an annual quality of life/climate survey;
- Tracks and shares data on graduate student admission and attrition and faculty recruitment and attrition;
- Provides information on university resources pertaining to topics such as inclusive teaching and sexual misconduct.